Quick question: Do you know what it takes to comply with harassment prevention training requirements in countries like India, Canada, and Australia?
Asking this question is a win-win for us, because we do! So either your answer is yes, in which case you can nerd out with us over international compliance training requirements. Or, your answer is no, in which case we’re delighted to share that we’ve got you covered so you can focus your brainpower and bandwidth on tasks more relevant to your day-to-day.
In any case, here’s the bottom line: Ethena, the modern compliance platform of your dreams, has recently expanded our flagship Harassment Prevention course to meet compliance needs in three new areas with their own unique legislation: India via the PoSH Act, Australia via the country’s 2022 Anti-Discrimination and Human Rights Legislation Amendment (Respect at Work) Bill, and Canada via a series of province-specific laws that we’ll get into more in depth below.
The TL;DR is that if any of your employees live in one of these locations, Ethena is here to help, checking the legal compliance box and then going above and beyond with our content to ensure your workforce has what it needs to be successful long term.
What does it mean for Ethena’s training to now be in compliance with training requirements in new locations?
It means something different for every location. Sometimes it’s making our content available in a new language, sometimes it’s addressing a new piece of legislation, and sometimes it’s simply part of regular expansion or customer requests. (So even if you don’t think our product currently meets your needs, never be afraid to ask a member of our sales team! It could be that the change you’re after is already in our pipeline, or could be workable on our end without too much additional effort.)
I’m ready for the details on Ethena’s new compliance in India, Canada, and Australia
Now that we have some context, let’s talk about what’s expanding as far as Ethena’s coverage in each of the three countries where we’re newly compliant, including the specific legal requirements our training is addressing.
Compliance software for India’s PoSH Act
In India, the relevant law is the PoSH Act, an acronym that stands for 2013’s Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace (Prevention, Prohibition and Redressal) Act.
The act is designed to protect Indian women in the workplace by requiring that companies clearly delineate what sexual harassment is, implement methods for discouraging it, and provide clear paths for reporting complaints of misconduct, should any arise. (Note that our hotline and case management tool is a great supplement to our existing harassment prevention training, here.)
Under the Act, any woman employee — regardless of work status — can seek redress for sexual harassment that occurs in the workplace or the “extended workplace,” which applies to locations like virtual meetings, calls, company-sponsored vehicles, or other transportation that employees use to get to work. Also note that many company policies go beyond this definition to protect against all instances of sexual harassment against an employee of any gender.
For additional details on compliance with the PoSH Act, click here.
HR software for compliance in Canadian workplaces
In Canada each province has its own legislation that needs to be observed. And before you ask: yes, Ethena’s harassment prevention training does cover all of them.
- Alberta — Occupational Health and Safety Code, Alta. Reg. 87/2009
- British Columbia — Occupational Health and Safety Regulation, B.C. Reg. 296/97 and the Workers Compensation Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 492
- Manitoba — Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health Regulation (M.R. 217/2006, Part 10); Safe Work Manitoba guidelines
- New Brunswick — The General Regulation (91-191) under the New Brunswick Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Newfoundland and Labrador — Occupational Health and Safety Regulations
- Northwest Territories – Northwest Territories’ Occupational Health and Safety Regulations, R-039-2015
- Nova Scotia — training is not expressly required, but is strongly recommended
- Nunavut – Nunavut Occupational Health and Safety Regulations, Nu Reg 003-2016
- Ontario — Occupational Health and Safety Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. O.1
- Prince Edward Island – Prince Edward Island Employment Standards Act, RSPEI 1988, c E-6.2
- Quebec — Act respecting occupational health and safety, CQLR c S-2.1
- Saskatchewan – Saskatchewan Employment Act, SS 2013, c S-15.1
- Yukon – Yukon Occupational Health and Safety Regulations, (YOIC 2006/178, Part 19)
The laws listed above typically require companies to educate employees about the company’s own anti-harassment policies and procedures, which typically include how to spot and report harassment within the company, alongside other skills.
Ethena’s harassment prevention course is designed to help meet training requirements in Canadian provinces, by teaching learners how to identify harassment, how to respond if they see it, and how to report instances of misconduct. To get even more specific, you can also load your own internal policies into Ethena so that they appear in the Learning Center during training.
For more details on compliance with harassment prevention training requirements in Canada, click here.
Compliance software that meets Australian requirements
For Australia, we’re focused on the country’s 2022’s Anti-Discrimination and Human Rights Legislation Amendment (Respect at Work) Bill.
New obligations under this Bill, which are expected to be covered in any training, include:
- The existence of a positive duty on employers to take steps to actively eliminate sexual harassment in the workplace
- Managers’ role in ensuring that the positive duty is met
- The definition of a hostile workplace environment
- The responsibility of all staff to make sure that a hostile workplace environment is prevented
For more details on compliance with harassment prevention training requirements in Australia, click here.
Ethena has your back when it comes to getting compliant with international law
As you might imagine, Ethena’s harassment prevention training covers all of the above requirements in our signature style, combining our intuitive, easy-to-use platform with compelling content that actually sticks. (Not to brag, but we have a 93% approval rating from over a million reviews.) And yes, we’ll also be on top of any updates, so that you can put your focus elsewhere, confident that we’ve got you covered.
So now that our flagship harassment prevention course complies with the training requirements in these three new geographic areas, we hope you speak with a member of our sales team or check out the pricing page if you’d like to see where Ethena fits into your international compliance program.